Thursday, September 10, 2009

I Met Someone In Big Bear

PREMISE

I never thought I would write about this incident in my life. When I came down from Big Bear Adventure Weekend, I thought this episode will be passed on like an oral tradition. As of this writing, no ears have ever heeded the story.

But at the end of my latest post, Introduction to WeHo, it seems it has been written to be written.

I MET SOMEONE IN BIG BEAR

His full name bears semblance to “Andy” and that’s how I will refer to him here. We met at the Bear Pool Party. His group of friends sat next to mine. Like most new encounters, we couldn’t care less about each other.

With conversations going smooth and camera flashes going off left and right, we warm up to each other. We both share a goofy sense of humor. He effortlessly laughs at my jokes and so do I at his. When someone cracks a joke, he looks at me to see if I’m laughing along with him.

Each time we talk we discover a common ground. We are both family-oriented as he is Latino and I’m Filipino, and we share a Hispanic heritage. He adores his mother as I do mine and we are both close to our siblings. His dad has drifted away from the family, I lost mine to illness.

I like his demeanor. He’s not loud or flamboyant, and he’s a little conservative. He doesn’t initiate flirting, and when someone flirts with him he just goes with the flow without giving too much of himself.

In that way, he is very much like me. I’m a small town boy with small town values, and I appreciate those traits of him deeply.

We laughingly admit to our gay moments which come fleetingly. We both feel awkward when complimented about our physical attributes. He is quite keen on gay rights of which I am a staunch supporter. He knows a little cooking; Same thing with me.

Most of all, both of us are single. I don’t know about his relationship history, but what matters is the present, right? I’ve never had anybody in my entire life. And if he would be the first, I wouldn’t mind at all.

I took notice of him all the more when his friends were teasing him about being a virgin. “Never tasted anyone. Never been tasted by anyone,” they jested. Not that being a virgin is important, but it struck a common chord. How wonderful it would it be if we were both each other’s first.

I show him all the pictures I have taken so far. “Wow, you take really good pictures,” he compliments.

“Want me to take a picture of you?” I offer.

“Nah, I don’t look good in pictures,” he declines.

How cute, I think to myself. He doesn’t realize how guapo he is.

The sun would set in a few hours, the crowd was ebbing, and it was time to call it a day at the pool. Everyone said goodbye and promised to see each other at the Sweat Dance later in the evening.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I went back to the hostel where I was billeted, took a bear nap, showered, and got myself ready. I was going to meet him and his friends at their lodge and we were going to go to the dance together.

When I got to their unit, everyone takes notice of the paisley-patterned shirt I was wearing. He looks at me in quiet admiration. I didn’t want him to notice that I noticed so I smile at him only briefly then make myself comfortable in their company.

When it was time for everyone to hop into a car, I notice we were both ready to take our own. “Hey, you can ride with me if you want,” I suggested. He agrees. I am pleased. He was the only one who rode with me. We had ourselves solely to each other.

The night was still young when we arrive at the venue. Fellow bears were already there but no one was dancing yet. I scout around for bears whose pictures I took. I wanted to show them their photos.

But before heading off I told “Andy’s” friend, “I’m gonna go around. Stay with him. Don’t leave him on his own.” I saw “Andy” smile from my peripheral vision. He seemed to have appreciated the gesture of protection.

Several more minutes and the convention center was starting to get packed. Bears invade the dance floor and start the Sweat Dance. “Hey, you wanna dance?” “Andy” asks.

“Sure,” I respond nonchalantly. He offers me his hand, I take it, and we were holding each other’s as we walk towards the dance floor. I have butterflies in my stomach as we make our way through the crowd.

DJs David Wade and John Le Page were doing a good job because no sooner was the dance floor teeming with a lot of people. “Andy” and I were dancing together. Some friends and acquaintances join in and we all took turns in partnering one another.

The Sweat Dance is the last nighttime event so we partied to the hilt. We were dancing, singing, taking pictures, and drinking.

One thing I did that I’ve never done before is the sandwich; three or more people dance closely with bodies rubbing against each other. I learn a little later that grinding is a variation and involves the hips (read: crotch).

I felt a little uneasy and was probably reacting awkwardly, but others were doing it naturally, including “Andy”. I didn’t know where to put my hands, specially with “Andy”. I didn’t want to touch him improperly.

At times when it was just the two of us dancing, “Andy” would take my hands and put it in some parts of his body as he pleased. Nothing shocking, but I just let him guide me. And my hands are usually back with me in a short while.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Andy” and I went to the bar to get drinks and a breather. “You’re very respectful,” he observes. I smile at him, deep inside feeling good that someone still appreciates chivalry in these times.

When we got our drinks, he offers his elbow to me gesturing to lock mine with his. I gladly did and we went closer to the dance floor with elbows interlocked. “So am I your impromptu boyfriend?” he asks.

“Yes, by default” I answer. We both laugh and join the crowd again.

One has to compete with blaring music to carry a conversation on the dance floor. But I didn’t really mind because it was half-erotic as we had to strain and put our lips near our ears to hear each other well.

“You dance pretty well,” he says.

“Why, thank you. You’re pretty comfortable on the dance floor, yourself,” I say back.

“Andy” keeps trying to catch my eyes with his. I feel uncomfortable, but I like it. Each time he makes an attempt, I try my best to look at him straight in the eye as well. Our eyes meet longer at each time.

Several attempts later and in a sudden burst of yearning, “Andy” rests his hands on my shoulders, draws himself closer to me, and plants his lips on mine. He stands back a little, smiling at me.

“Whoa...” I said slowly with eyes bugged. I must’ve looked stupid because I was startled.

I start to put on a smile, but before I could make it full, he nestles my face on his two hands, draws me closer to him and kisses me again, this time longer and slipping me his tongue. When he stepped back to see my reaction, all I could say was “Oh, my God!”

He smiles even more and puts his arms around me, his head resting on mine, his warm breath flowing through my neck. “Did that just happen?” I ask. With his arms still wrapped around me, he angles his head so he’s facing me, and looks into my eyes longingly.

“I can’t believe this is happening,” I reiterate.

“Believe it,” he commands.

Our lips lock, our tongues meet, our chests press against each other. He guides my hands through his hips to his buttocks. I grab both cheeks firmly and he let out a subdued moan as we were still kissing.

In the midst of boot stomping, disco music blaring, and bears growling, I could hear nothing but our hearts beating in unison and our tongues frantically frolicking in each other’s mouths. Our kiss turns from mild to wild, as if we were taking each other’s breaths away.

Everything around us was a blur.

Everyone around us was nonexistent.

It was just me and him.

And it felt like forever.

To be continued...

14 comments:

  1. WAIT A GODDAMN MINUTE!!!! This was not part of the conversation we had! You did not tell me this! OMG, how exciting! I am soooo happy for you! When do you guys get to see each other again? Or am I about to read about it soon too? You deserve to to be happy! Looking forward to your stories....parang princess diaries ah? hehehe!

    Jennifer Guillem-Low
    4 hours ago

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I love a good love story

    Jason Klein
    3 hours ago

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet, sweet thing :-)

    Corina Gonzalez-Marquez
    3 hours ago

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoooo very nice!

    Rose David
    3 hours ago

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for this!

    Jeff Turner
    3 hours ago

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwww...that's so sweet.i'm so happy for you pete.yahoo!!!

    Hasmine Gonzaga Manalungsung
    2 hours ago

    ReplyDelete
  7. you go, piet! that's just magical...

    ClaireMichelle R Hernandez
    2 hours ago

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeba!!!!!

    Claiborne M. Cano
    Fri at 4:18am

    ReplyDelete
  9. kaka-kilig. next-next.

    Mildred Razon
    Fri at 6:55pm

    ReplyDelete
  10. take it easy and enjoy every moment.
    my heart leaps for joy for you.
    how long have we all waited for this?

    Queenie Calma
    Sep 19 Sat 1:54pm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A LONG LONG TIME

      Delete
    2. Indeed, "Anonymous Sat Jan 07, 04:30:00 AM 2017". 7 years and counting. :)

      Delete
  11. Peter! Not sure how I missed this but I am glad I saw it!

    Bernard Aguirre
    Sep 21 Mon 10:03pm

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a story peter. your story is so sweet and lovey dovey . and then to be continued how dare you,leave them begging for more, good writing love it. 0ur experience in life are a lesson u can share with others, great to have this medium. never thought i could be part of something like this. life and love is beautiful  when u find it embrace it , u never know how long it will last , hopefully forever, but it could happen. so my friend keep on trucking, maybe u will meet a truck driver. cant wait for part two or are u sharing that part , u cliffhanger u.

    Ed Mendoza
    Sep 22 Tue 06:27am

    ReplyDelete